Friday 4 November 2011

ROOF STRUCTURE

Originally I wanted to create a space with as authentic an outdoor feel as possible, so the idea of a roof doesn't overly appeal to me. However in the Brisbane climate shade cover will be an important issue, otherwise the steps will no doubt be under utilised during the middle of the day and afternoon when the sun is at its hottest.

I am visioning the steps being utilised as a meeting place and a social place during the day, during office lunch breaks for some and breaks from exercise routines for others. For this reason then it is important that I incorporate a shading roof cover.

As I still want an open air feel to retain the outdoor quality of the space I will propose a roof cover which is as open as possible and does not cover the whole structure. I believe it will provide protection from the sun without feeling enclosed or separated from the surrounding natural environment. I am proposing timber battons, supported by steel columns, and in the shape of a palm leaf, a tree that is found throughout the whole of the botanic gardens. The steel will be minimal and the timber will be the dominant material, sensitive to the surrounding environment in the gardens. It has a warm feel and ties in with the timber of the rotunda structure located between the stirs and the Albert St entrance.

I experimented with some timber pieces to determine the feel I could get from different shapes in the timber before deciding on the final form for the roof (see final panels for drawings).



No comments:

Post a Comment